Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: cypher <cypher@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 00:35:44 +0100
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, Mike Acar <mike@contract.kent.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, Dec 06, 1997 at 06:26:41PM -0500, cypher wrote:

> On these lines what about the stuff that Digital is now doing with Intel.
> Digital has been pretty good to the linux community... maybe thats our
> "in".

Which reminds of a discussion with Jon "Maddog" Hall (introduction
superfluous, I guess).  He said Linux the best thing of having Linux on
the Alpha was that is was actually helping Digital helping to sell
more Digital UNIX systems.  He explained the effect by users starting
with Linux on their Alpha systems but then finding that they're actually
in the need of the advanced capabilities of Digital UNIX.