Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: cypher <cypher@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:16:13 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, Mike Acar <mike@contract.kent.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> The whole effort to gain control of the architecture reminds me of the
> micro channel fiasco that IBM did.  Granted, the I2O stuff is less
> restrictive than that, but if Intel goes too far on this, they might
> find themselves w/o a market.

Actually this would probably put the companies using I20 specs in a very
similar position that many of the big unix workstation vendors find
themself in now. What more, if Linux did (it will I'm sure) run on this
architecture it would put itself in a great position, espiecially if
Microsoft stop supporting the old architecture while other companies
continue to produce them. (How badly does Bill Gates want it to go his
way?)

---
Todd M. Shrider                         Unix Workstation Support Group
(812)855-2627                           2711 E. 10th Street
tshrider@indiana.edu                    Indiana University,
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/            Bloomington, IN 47408-2671