Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: mito@aparima.com
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: Lige Hensley <ligeh@carpediem.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 07:42:27 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> [One of my filters just hit this on  comp.os.linux.misc
>  I think the guy has a point and I thought it was interesting]
>
>   Subject: M$'s strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
>   From: mito@aparima.com (Louis-David Mitterrand)
>   Date: 4 Dec 1997 19:06:27 GMT
>   Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc  , comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
>   OK, now what's next? Linux means business, *is* business. The coming of
>   age is very real: RedHat 5.0 is winning rave reviews for its ease-of-use
>   and idiot-proof installation "even easier than NT", the  Wine project
>   (windows emulator) is starting to make serious progress and some major
>   win32 apps are beginning to work. It won't take much more than another
>   year to see comprehensive support for Win95/NT apps under Linux. Next
>   thing, people will ask "why shell out $800 for NT Server, when I can get
>   the same more reliable services from a $50 RedHat CD? These MS support
>   people never answer the phone anyway, and I can run Office97 with Wine."

Even more important than Linux being easier to install than NT is
reliability.  I am in the middle of a project to remove about $200,000
worth of NT servers and replace them with Linux boxes.  Of the servers
installed thus far, we've seen our incidence of problems go from about 2
a week to zero (and peformance boasts out the wazoo).

I'm currently working on an article for LJ about our project and how to do
it yourself.  The possibly of Linux as an NT replacement is not only real,
it's happening.

-lige

"Live Free Or Die"

Slam Foot Neck!  Ride the wave.  Touch Touch Touch.  I'm cereal.
e-mail: lige.hensley@carpediem.com
www: http://www.iusd.iupui.edu/~henslelf
  o__
  ,>/'        Network Coordinator.  Compression, Inc.
 (_)\(_)        http://www.carpediem.com