Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: Michael Neuffer <neuffer@trudi.zdv.Uni-Mainz.DE>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:35:44 +0100 (CET)
Cc: Mike Acar <mike@contract.kent.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Alan Cox wrote:
> I2O is in hand, most I2O vendors I've talked to are very determined to see
> the spec become open and the general public vendors are taking from all
> sides - including where it counts with the "We wont buy i2o boxes as it ties
> us to unsuitable OS's". The SIG may also move in that way given time. If not
> we'll just break it. The fact they erroneously published the spec helps a lot

Unfortunately the spec got updated to 2.0 and from my sources I hear
that it is not exactly upwards compatible.

We will surely be able to break it given time, since somene somewhere
will surly leak it at some point, but time is unfortunately also all that
Billy Boy needs to gain an unfair advantage.