Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 18:08:07 -0500
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, Mike Acar <mike@contract.kent.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> BTW, there are some folks around here getting rid of Indigo's with a
> fair amount of disk/memory on them (2G disk, 64M memory) with
> monitors.  They are currently up for bid.  How different are these
> beasts than the Indy?  Would Linux run on them?  What would be a fair
> price to bid on them?
>
> Warner

There are several models of Indigo. If it is an R4000, its fairly close
to an Indy without the multimedia things. The problem you will find is
that there were also several levels of graphics.

Bid price 64MB ram, 2GB disk, 19-20" monitor, R4k - $500.00

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"