Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 15:46:19 -0700
Cc: mike@contract.kent.edu (Mike Acar), linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
In message <199712052220.OAA60317@oz.engr.sgi.com> Ariel Faigon writes:
: To me the day MS starts using legal threats and acquisitions in order
: to stop Linux can be declared the day Linux has won.  Unfortunately
: for us Linux lovers, before Wine can run _all_ the Win32 apps without
: _any_ problem (not so close IMHO) and before Linux has a dumb-user GUI
: that really hides all the incredible (for the average Windows user)
: Unix complexities from the majority of the user base it doesn't have
: a chance of world domination, not even in the enterprise servers
: low-end space.

Keep in mind that there are other free unix implementations that are
also likely starting to appear on the radar screen of Microsoft.
FreeBSD has made significant inroads in many places, for example.

The only reason that I have Win95 on my laptop at all is to run
quickbooks, quicken and the odd Word or Execel thing.  Wine can't run
quicken well enough yet for me to be able to rely on it for my day to
day activities.

: Excellent and valid point.  Note that there are new forces on the
: rise which directly clash with Intel interests.  I'm refering to
: both the existing National-Semiconductor + Cyrix merger and AMD,
: and to the (about 9 at last count) startups working on x86 compatible
: designs.  The next few years will be interesting and Intel might very
: probably not emerge as the winner.

The whole effort to gain control of the architecture reminds me of the
micro channel fiasco that IBM did.  Granted, the I2O stuff is less
restrictive than that, but if Intel goes too far on this, they might
find themselves w/o a market.

Also, there are people on the FreeBSD mailing lists who claim to have
unencumbered access to the I2O specs.  I don't see that the free
unixes will be locked out of that area for very long, even if the SIG
folks want them to.  There is just too much vested interest in having
them run on the next generation of PCs to hold back the tide for long.

BTW, there are some folks around here getting rid of Indigo's with a
fair amount of disk/memory on them (2G disk, 64M memory) with
monitors.  They are currently up for bid.  How different are these
beasts than the Indy?  Would Linux run on them?  What would be a fair
price to bid on them?

Warner