Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: mike@contract.kent.edu (Mike Acar)
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:43:26 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> The I2O SIG will control access to the hardware docs on the next generation of
> fast PCs, and the licensing terms - let alone the SIG member's veto power over
> membership applicants - are in fundamental conflict with Linux and the other
> free PC Unices. Microsoft might not need to try to crush Linux directly;
> there's
> a distinct possibility that Linux simply won't run on the next generation of
> PCs.

I2O is in hand, most I2O vendors I've talked to are very determined to see
the spec become open and the general public vendors are taking from all
sides - including where it counts with the "We wont buy i2o boxes as it ties
us to unsuitable OS's". The SIG may also move in that way given time. If not
we'll just break it. The fact they erroneously published the spec helps a lot

You arent watching hard. The microsoft strategy is NT for servers, and Windows
CE embedded in everything from your TV, telephone to toilet. CE is on ROM..

Alan