Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario

To: mike@contract.kent.edu (Mike Acar)
Subject: Re: M$ 's strategy against Linux: nightmare scenario
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:20:36 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mike wrote:
:
:[Snip: Linus works for Transmeta, which Microsoft might buy in order to
:"acquire" Linux. Legal or not, the legal fight might hamper Linux's spread well
:enough to significantly reduce the threat to NT.]
:
:This isn't a particularly big worry to me.
:
Just to make it clear, I just forwarded the piece and I don't necessarily
agree with the poster on most points.

To me the day MS starts using legal threats and acquisitions in order
to stop Linux can be declared the day Linux has won.  Unfortunately
for us Linux lovers, before Wine can run _all_ the Win32 apps without
_any_ problem (not so close IMHO) and before Linux has a dumb-user GUI
that really hides all the incredible (for the average Windows user)
Unix complexities from the majority of the user base it doesn't have
a chance of world domination, not even in the enterprise servers
low-end space.

:
:What does worry me, however, is that Intel, MS and others are making
:significant progress in taking control of the PC architecture.
:
Excellent and valid point.  Note that there are new forces on the
rise which directly clash with Intel interests.  I'm refering to
both the existing National-Semiconductor + Cyrix merger and AMD,
and to the (about 9 at last count) startups working on x86 compatible
designs.  The next few years will be interesting and Intel might very
probably not emerge as the winner.

:
:Along those lines, are there any plans for providing Linux drivers for the
:Wintel hardware SGI's announced for next summer?
:
I can understand the curiosity and interest.  Please note that SGI
future products and plans are highly confidential and are not supposed
to take place on this public forum.

--
Peace, Ariel