Re: Linux on the O2

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 01:17:45 +0100
Cc: Greg Chesson <greg@xtp.engr.sgi.com>, chatz@omen.melbourne.sgi.com, ligeh@carpediem.com, cwcarlson@home.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 06:54:18PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Makes me wonder whether the Indy port of Linux could be ratcheted into
> > a vanilla port for the O2, and then perhaps SGI could produce binary
> > loadable drivers for the missing bits.
>
> If that is SGI's attitude to the thing then theres an Indy on my desk waiting
> for someone to ship it back.

Actually I think there is a lot that can be negotiated.  In one of my
SGI are *alot* more Linux-friendly than you think.  Furthermore given the
fact that way more UNIX systems run Linux than anything else definately
has impressed a couple of people in the higher levels at SGI.

Given that the way the Free Software comunity and the world of the
proprietary software think is radically different we have to accept
that a big company like SGI doesn't take make the way from proprietary
software to Free Software in one big jump.  Between black and white
there is grey ...

And after all - resistance is futile.  "You can't outrun Penguin from
Borg.  You can't destroy him.  If you damage him, the essence of what
he is remains ...  he regenerates and keeps coming.  Eventually you'll
weaken.  Your reserves will be gone.  His is relentless"
                                             - Q, Star Date 42761.3

 ;-)