Re: Linux on the O2

To: (William J. Earl)
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 18:59:33 +0000 (GMT)
> linux, would be reasonably general purpose.  In particular, being able
> to allocate large pages (64 KB tiles on O2) at any time, no matter how

I assume you mean physical tiles. 64K tiles on Linux is actually quite tricky
- creating them and allocating them is ok its the fact theres no current
vm way to say move this and make me a tile.  (the kernel allocated objects
arent a problem as the kernel can allocate drawing from tiles itself)

>      In graphics, if linux winds up with an IRIX-compatible kernel
> graphics driver on some SGI boxes, the IRIX Xsgi,, and
> platform-specific binaries could run on linux.  Note that

This is certainly a very good starting basis but its not a "complete"
answer. Also of course one day Indy + IRIX always together wont be an
automatic fact - I dont actually believe it is in the EEC right now anyway