Re: Linux on the O2

To: David Chatterton <>
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: Lige Hensley <>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:06:11 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Chris Carlson <>,
On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, David Chatterton wrote:

> On Dec 4, 12:39am, Lige Hensley wrote:
> | >From what I read about the R12K, MIPS would appear to be near the top of
> | the CPU game as far as raw procesing power.  When compared to a Pentium-II
> | 350 MHz, a 300MHz R12K was about equal in integer ops and nearly 5 times
> | the speed with floating point ops.  It's not an Alpha, but it far better
> | than anything cooked up at Intel.  (ok, maybe I am a little biased, but
> | real men use RISC).
> |
> But the best we have right now are 200MHz R10Ks, so we are relying on our
> server architecture to compete with everyone else. We all hope that MIPS can
> continue to produce chips that are competitive (and the R12 looks great on
> paper), but Intel has a lot more engineers and R&D budget to leap frog ahead
> in
> the long run. That's life.

As someone mentioned earlier (and what I am lead to understand) the R12K
is in pre-production now, which is much more than a concept on paper.  Is
this correct?

As far as Intel being able to leap-frog ahead in the long-run, I wouldn't
count on it.  I've always believed that money can't buy everything,
especially in engineering.

Or maybe I like to root for the underdog :-)

Slam Foot Neck!  Ride the wave.  Touch Touch Touch.  I'm cereal.
  ,>/'        Network Coordinator.  Compression, Inc.