Re: Linux on the O2

To: ligeh@carpediem.com
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:48:53 -0800
Cc: cwcarlson@home.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
   Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:39:07 -0500 (EST)
   From: Lige Hensley <ligeh@carpediem.com>

   From what I read about the R12K, MIPS would appear to be near the top of
   the CPU game as far as raw procesing power.  When compared to a Pentium-II
   350 MHz, a 300MHz R12K was about equal in integer ops and nearly 5 times
   the speed with floating point ops.  It's not an Alpha, but it far better
   than anything cooked up at Intel.

Isn't R12K pre-production still, out in a few months or something like
this?   Anyways, if this is the case you might as well compare in the
predicted Ultra III figures in your analysis as well if this is a
vapor ware cpu performance comparison ;-)

   (ok, maybe I am a little biased, but real men use RISC).

Indeed.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com