Re: Linux on the O2

To: cypher <cypher@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 14:19:57 -0700
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.971203132942.15095B-100000@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu>
cypher writes:
: There now exists an emulator for it. Now if one were to port the kernel to
: the emulator and then burn that to a rom.... hmmm

Hmmm.  Interesting.  How much does it cost to burn a EEPROM for the
N64?  I suspect the anser is $500 for the first one, and EEPROM cost +
$0.01 for each additional one due to startup costs.

Also, do you have a URL for the N64 emulator?

If memory serves, the N64 has a VR4700 chip in it made by IDT or some
such.  I have an IDT eval board that has a R4700 on it right now,
which would be enough to get Linux running on the chip.

But one does have to ask the question of WHY?  What can you get from
an N64 that would make it worth running Linux on it?

Warner