Re: Linux on the O2

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 00:04:41 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: ralf@uni-koblenz.de, cypher@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> I'll second Ralf.  Once we have an Indy port that's stable,
> easy to install and maybe supported by Red-Hat or other
> Linux distributors. Once we have something that's actually used
> by many Indy owners (rather than just a handful), and once SGI
> real customers (who bring SGI real money) seem to like it and
> talk to their SGI reps about their interest in Linux on SGI,
> only then, management may be open to opening more HW specs
> to the public.

Even if they don't its far far easier to reverse engineer the O2 working
from a stable Indy base than from a wobbly base platform. I don't personally
believe there is anything SGI could do to stop a Linux hacker making Linux
run on the O2

> As Mao Zedong used to say... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Yep. I don't see a big problem. Im not privy to SGI accounts but I refuse
to believe Irix itself does anything more than break even at best just by
taking published information on developer team size, and sales. In fact
I suspect its a loss maker like Solaris. If Linux sells SGI hardware Im sure it
will get us into good books 8)

Alan