Re: Linux on the O2

Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: Christian Reisch <>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 15:32:56 -0800
William J. Earl wrote:
      O2 is also a bigger technical problem, even with specifications in
> The drivers are actually easier than for Indy, but really exploiting the
> O2 capabilities in graphics and digital media required a lot of enhancements
> to the memory management, since O2 is a UMA system.  You could do a dumb
> port, with a fixed frame buffer size, but then most of the O2 is wasted.

        Actually I suspect the exact opposite would happen and hence
management's fear.  There are ALOT more people in the linux community
than we have working at SGI.  It is very concievable that if the specs
available linux on O2 would massively out perform irix on the O2.  This
be a major embarrassment to the company.  Compare and contrast as Unixes
Solaris X86 and Linux on a given x86 box or Digital Unix and linux on an

        Quality wise free software always beats proprietary software (if for
no other reason than it has to make fewer concesions to release
and politics) often embarassingly so.