Re: Linux on the O2

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de (Ralf Baechle)
Subject: Re: Linux on the O2
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:31:26 -0800 (PST)
Cc: cypher@vertigo.cs.indiana.edu, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ralf wrote:
:
:On Tue, Dec 02, 1997 at 04:50:40PM -0500, cypher wrote:
:
:I can well imagine that way can be found under which an O2 port could become
:reality.  It's probably most important that customers (== $$$) ask for Linux
:for their boxes and that word has to spread upto the higher managment.
:
:> Right now I am basically in position (not officially supported by the
:> university of course, but there not telling me not to do it either, if you
:> know what I mean) where I've been given and Indy and an O2 to work on
:> porting Linux while on the clock.
:
:I suggest to work on the Indy.  There is Indy code that just needs a bit of
:polishing and debugging, but essentially we're relativly close.  Working for
:the O2 would mean that you'll aside of a bigger technical task you'll also
:have to solve a political problem.
:
It is nice to see interest in Linux from big SGI customers
(and I wish there was more of this :-)

I'll second Ralf.  Once we have an Indy port that's stable,
easy to install and maybe supported by Red-Hat or other
Linux distributors. Once we have something that's actually used
by many Indy owners (rather than just a handful), and once SGI
real customers (who bring SGI real money) seem to like it and
talk to their SGI reps about their interest in Linux on SGI,
only then, management may be open to opening more HW specs
to the public.

I believe there are a few hundreds of thousands Indy's out there.
If we can make one in ten of them (10%) switch to Linux, it would be
a great achievement and one that would certainly be noted
by everyone at SGI, including those who can approve releasing
further specs.

And let's not waste too many resources on the N64 port either :-)

As Mao Zedong used to say... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.
--
Peace, Ariel