Re: Problems with booting SGI/Linux

To: Michael Hill <>
Subject: Re: Problems with booting SGI/Linux
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:25:55 +0100
On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 03:03:47PM -0500, Michael Hill wrote:

> > > :PROMLIB: SGI ARCS firmware Version1 Revision 10
> > > :PROMLIB: Total free ram 31502336 bytes (...)
> > > :ARCH: SGI-IP22
> > > :CPU revision is: 00002020
> >                         ^^^^
> Ditto (for the most part).
> > That's a R4600 V2.0.  The kernel sources/binaries on Linus don't handle
> > the silicon bugs of this beast correctly.  I fixed the problem this
> > morning testing them on a SNI RM200.  For a proof of the test I compiled
> > X a couple of times; the box now looks stable even under high load.  Will
> > commit the bug fixes shortly.

Bad luck, my box is still not stable even though this bug has been fixed.

> This is a huge relief since I didn't know what to try next (haven't been able
> to compile a kernel).  Ralf,  where can I access your committed bug fixes?
> Any chance of someone posting a compiled kernel incorporating these to

I'm working on it.  There are several issues that will take me a couple
of days to work them out.  My two main projects are

 - rebuilding RedHat 4.9.1 for big endian MIPS (like the Indy).  This is
   the most urgent part and I'm working (well, my Indy ...) on it.
 - my kernel tree has diverged significantly from what were publishing
   on Linus.  Have to merge them both.

You can usually get the bugfixes from the kernel sources/binaries available
on Linus.  The last one is a bit old, though ...