Re: Bintuils

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Bintuils
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:20:51 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, Nov 29, 1997 at 12:49:33AM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 28, 1997 at 10:51:47PM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:
> > > libc and glibc binary RPMs would be appreciated. How about gcc and
> > > binutils for big endian as well?
> > I'll upload them rsn.  Just give some more days.  My next upload will
> > probably again be 100mb or so, that takes a while to compile.  Also I
>
> Cool!  Now that things are working a bit better on my box, I'm a little
> more eager to get things running smoothly.

I just started rebuilding libc.  Boy, I didn't know that the last published
version of libc was that buggy.  *grin innocent*

> > > Does anyone have an editor?  It's a bit of a pain to have to FTP things
> > > over to my i386 box, change, and re-FTP.
> > I'm pretty shure that I put a tarball with Elvis and several rpms with
> > other editors on Linus.
>
> Uh, could you let me know where?  I couldn't find either. The only RPMs
> are ed(no, please, don't make me)  and the broken version of joe.

Also to be released: Eeekmacs 19.34 tty and X version.

> I've had SRPMs of RedHat 5.0 (Hurricane) for a couple of days, so when I
> get my build system running well, it'll churn out the upgraded RPMs.
> Having compiled a few things this evening, I can tell you it'll take a
> long time.  The 4600 isn't as fast as I'd thought.

I can't get rid of the feeling that performancewise something is very wrong
with the Indy code.  My R4600 box feels faster than the R5000 Indy.