Re: Bintuils

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: Bintuils
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 14:54:11 +0100
On Fri, Nov 28, 1997 at 01:35:14PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

>       Has anyone attempted to build the binutils fixed RPM with the old
> buggy binutils. Im trying this right now and Im getting

> Im now off to rebuild it from scratch with the static new linker to see what
> occurs

I just checked the binutils on my (Intel ...) laptop.  Libbfd contains
DT_NEEDED entries for  This means that libbfd was linked
against libc which will make binutils 2.7 produce bad executables.

Suggested bootstrap procedure:

  - restore your old binutils 2.7 binaries
  - manually rebuild binutils 2.8.1 + patch.  When configuring binutils
    2.8.1 do not use the --enable-shared option, it will make binutils
    2.7 generate bad libraries.
  - install the binutils just built
  - You should now be able to rebuild the rpm without problems