Re: Libc in CVS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Libc in CVS
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:22:31 +0100
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>, alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Nov 24, 1997 at 04:58:22PM -0500, Erik Troan wrote:
> > That was a nice thing back in the pre-glibc days.  But since so many
> > static binaries (including RPM) pull in the NIS stuff dynamically via
> > dlopen() due to how GLIBC works, your ass will no longer get saved the
> > way it used to.
>
> At least you can install the packages though. At the very worst,
> getpwnam() will fail and RPM will use root.root for all of the files,
> but at least they will be there. That's surely better then not being
> able to install packages at all.

I just checked mount(8), it's a shared binary.  I guess only the fewest
Redhat installations it is possible to access the packages without using
nss services or mount.

Aside, if everything gets installed as root.root in absence of the nss
functionality this open a theoretical security problem for some packages.