Re: Libc in CVS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Libc in CVS
From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:55:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 ralf@lappi.waldorf-gmbh.de wrote:

> For rpm the trick is easy, just don't use a static linked binary.
> Unfortunately the Redhat guys seem to think static binaries are a good
> idea and install a static rpm by default.  Which it is not, not even
> without a buggy dynamic linker.

A static RPM has saved my ass *many* times, and it would irresponsible
for us not to ship it static. Glibc ought to be able to generate
static binaries. If it can't, it's broken.

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|       Erik Troan   =   ewt@redhat.com     =    ewt@sunsite.unc.edu          |