Re: Pentium F00F bug Linux workaround

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Pentium F00F bug Linux workaround
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:49:47 -0800
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
We also got some good press from it pretty fast after we released the
fixes:

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,16312,00.html

Whats extremely humorous is that BSDI signed an NDA with Intel to get
early fix techniques told to them by Intel engineers.  But the NDA
stated they could not release patch sets for BSDI until Intel said so,
the thinking on Intel's part is that they wanted nobody to be the
first with a fix.  BSDI overlooked this and put the fix out, then
quickly took the fixes down once they released they had breached the
Intel NDA.

After the Linux fix was already out, Intel engineers spoke with Linus
and tried to get him to sign an NDA, I've never laughed so hard in my
life.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com