Re: More Linux/SGI status

To: eak@detroit.sgi.com
Subject: Re: More Linux/SGI status
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Eric Kimminau wrote:

> I am still having problems just getting our Indy to boot linux. I am in
> a completely SGI environment with no PC already running linux to boot
> from.
>
> Is there anyone else using this type of environment that has done a
> basic HOWTO for getting up and running? If you have the basics, I
> PROMISE to document it fully with graphics, images, etc. Ill do it in an
> HTML form which will immediately be placed on linus.linux.

I can think of only one way of doing it...

Stick your kernel in /, and boot it.  That kernel would have to have the
EFS file system enabled so that you could mount a local disk with a Linux
image as /.  Then, partition your other disk, and install RPM's to your
heart's content.

The better way of doing this, though, is to stick all the RPM's on a SCSI
disk on an ext2 partition.  Make a Linux ramdisk (no ARC or anything
else... just the usual Linux ramdisk as found in Sparc and i386) with a
base filesystem.  From that, partition your second disk, and install RPMs.

I'm working on the ramdisk stuff...

- Alex