make zImage, and initrd...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: make zImage, and initrd...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 19:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I'm working on adding the ramdisk and initrd features to the kernel.  It
compiles, which is pretty good for my first kernel patch.

But, I have no way to actually test it.  The kernel needs to find the
offset of the ramdisk in the first 11 bits of one of the boot headers, so
the kernel needs to be less than 2047k.

This wouldn't normally be a problem, but doing a 'make zImage' tells me
that:
./mkboot zImage.tmp zImage
Input file isn't a little endian ELF file
make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1

What would be required to make mkboot handle zImage, or bzImage?

In the meantime, I will try to strip down a kernel to below 2047k.  My
current one is 2347.

Any other ideas?

- Alex