Re: IRIX ELF docs

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@cobaltmicro.com>
Subject: Re: IRIX ELF docs
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 11:38:01 +0200
Cc: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Apropos quickstart, I recently had a discussion with someone about
> quickstart & performance.  Does anybody have hard numbers about how
> much the speedup by quickstart is?
>
>   Ralf
Ralf,

 one of these typical "it depends" questions :-) If your application
has only a short list of DSOs to load and if it runs for hours,
the effect of quickstart is pretty low. If your app loads a
lot of DSOs, which may in turn load other DSOs, the effect on
the startup time maybe pretty big (50%). And if the ratio between
startup-time and real-work-time is in favour of startup, you
better put some effort in quickstarting your DSOs.

 The major problem is, that the more DSOs you have, the more
difficult it is to get all of the quickstarting. So a lot of
people never do the work.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <knobi@munich.sgi.com>   | VM: 6-333-8179 | M/S: IDE-3150    |