Re: R3000 SGI machines

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: R3000 SGI machines
From: sr@dragon.engr.sgi.com (Steve Rikli)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
William J. Earl wrote:
> LetherGlov@aol.com writes:
>>
>> You know I was just thinking about that this morning. I was more leaning
>> towards the personal iris, and the crimson with the video adapter that is not
>> supported in 6.2(the name isn't coming to me right now, GTX?). I was
>> wondering how we got the specs from the ethernet, bus, and serial controllers
>> from SGI. And the chip specs from mips. If I understand SGI history
>> correctly, there was a change in the CPU after revision 3, and we are going
>> to need to see if this is going to cause problems. another thing we need to
>> do(I'll do it) is call ID Software and get the code for DOOM so It can be
>> compiled for Linux.
>
>      The MIPS processor specifications are public, and available as printed
> books.  Also, many of them are online at http://www.sgi.com/MIPS/.
>
>      With the approval of the appropriate division general manager, I
> supplied the people doing the Indy port of linux with copies of the
> Indy hardware documentation.
>
>      Since the Personal IRIX and Crimson use mostly VME controllers. those
> drivers should carry over from other VME ports.  I don't know if I can
> arrange to provide documentation for the graphics controllers.

This may not be exactly the kind of thing some of y'all are looking
for, but since we're talking about doc & info sources for old SGI
hardware I felt I should point this one out:

        http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

Several handfulls of general notes about the 4D and/or other R3K
platforms.

Hope someone finds it useful.

cheers,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli <sr@sgi.com> ||| Any sufficiently advanced technology is ||
|| Systems Administrator    ||| indistinguishable from a rigged demo.   ||