Re: Task list --preliminary list

To: miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject: Re: Task list --preliminary list
From: Mark Salter <marks@sun470.sun470.rd.qms.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:37:28 -0500
Cc: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
>> [5] Verify that the latest source tree on Llinus compiles and boots
>> (maybe automate this with a daily build that gets tested)

> I checked this yesterday when I commited my code to linus.

Yes, but I bet you didn't check it on an Indy with no scache :-)
I have one of those beasts and the latest code in the cvs tree
crashes early in the boot process.

The code in arch/mips/mm/r4xx0.c which sets up the cache flush
procs now selects r4k_flush_page_to_ram_d32i32_r4600 where
earlier versions of r4xx0.c selected r4k_flush_page_to_ram_d32i32.
I think the current choice is correct in that my Indy has the
R4600 cache bug mentioned in IDT's errata. But the *_r4600 version
also has some inline assembler under an ifdef CONFIG_SGI which
appears to do something to the SGI scache. But since I have
no scache, I get a bus error irq instead.

It seems a bit strange that r4k_flush_page_to_ram_d32i32_r4600
has this bit of SGI specific code, but r4k_flush_page_to_ram_d32i32
does not. ???

--Mark