Re: Task list --preliminary list

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Task list --preliminary list
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:35:49 -0500
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> [5] Verify that the latest source tree on Llinus compiles and boots
>     (maybe automate this with a daily build that gets tested)

I checked this yesterday when I commited my code to linus.

> [4] Utility to boot Linux from IRIX (both locally and over net)

Well, we do not need this, since sash can load the Linux kernel from
both an efs file system and from the network.  I thought this had been
covered in the HOWTO?

        Booting from local disk:

        1. Put your kernel on an EFS partition say, /linux/vmlinux.gz

        2. reset your Indy.

        3. Enter maintenance mode (click on the button before IRIX
           boots).

        4. at the prompt type:  boot /linux/vmlinux.gz

        Note that I lack a manual on the ARC, so I am limited by what
        I figured would boot the kernel.  There are some very interesting
        variables that allow you to boot the kernel from any file
        system on any partition.

> [3] Stable precompiled Indy kernel + root-contents on linus

        I have my stable precompiled Indy kernel, I can setup a cron
        job to upload my latest kernel everyday :-).  They are always
        stable.

        My root contents are currently pretty hosed up, as I have a mixture
        of IRIX, Linux and gnemul + some rpms + some broken rpms + a libc
        that I am not sure it is ok.

Cheers,
Miguel.