Linux/SGI: IRIX X server -- more status.

Subject: Linux/SGI: IRIX X server -- more status.
From: Miguel de Icaza <>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 16:43:18 -0500
Hello guys,

    Thanks to Robert Tray for helping me finding the proper protocol
that has to be used with the xmap9 and 24 hours of rest, the X server
is now displaying correctly on my machine.

    The reason the ioctl NG1_SETDISPLAYMODE was hanging my machine was
pretty easy: on the xmap9 documentation it says that the number of
entries available on the xmap9 fifo is a 3 bit number, but later on
the document, it explains that this number is actually mapped like

        000     - no entries available
        001     - one entry available
        011     - two entries available
        010     - three entries available.
    Next time I will be more careful reading that.

    Now, I am off to test xterm and merge my code with the cvs
repository at