Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot

Subject: Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot
From: Alex deVries <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Miguel de Icaza <>,,
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Eric Kimminau wrote:
> We are still having problems getting a boot via nfs to work.

What problems are you having, exactly?  These should be pretty easy to
solve.  Mind you, just popping vmlinux on Irix's /, and booting with the
boot monitor with:
vmlinux nfsroot=bl.ea.h:/sgi-linux

works very easily, and saves the whole problem of having to setup
tftpboot, etc.

> Things would be a whole lot simpler if we could mke2fs on a disk while
> booting IRIX, mount it and copy all the stuff over before trying to boot

mke2fs does exist for Irix; check out the e2fs tools that are precompiled
and sitting on  It's in the misc directory.  Actually
copying them over is a problem, though, since Irix can't read ext2.

I have a ramdisk setup, I just need to test it.

- Alex