Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot

To: Miguel de Icaza <>
Subject: Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:43:55 -0400
Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Ill put $100.00 US that you have an R4000 or R4400 Indy NOT an R4600.
> >
> > The only system we have been able to boot is an R4600 with the kernel we
> > pulled down off ftp.
> Can you both guys fetch this kernel:
> and send me the output of the crash?
> Miguel.

Well, when we got word yesterday that 4600's were working, we swapped
the CPU module on linux.detroit to an R400 and we are working that way
towards getting a bootable system.

We are still having problems getting a boot via nfs to work.

Things would be a whole lot simpler if we could mke2fs on a disk while
booting IRIX, mount it and copy all the stuff over before trying to boot

Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.