Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot

To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: "unable to handle kernel paging request" at boot
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:43:55 -0400
Cc: eak@detroit.sgi.com, oliver@aec.at, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Ill put $100.00 US that you have an R4000 or R4400 Indy NOT an R4600.
> >
> > The only system we have been able to boot is an R4600 with the kernel we
> > pulled down off ftp.
>
> Can you both guys fetch this kernel:
>
>         ftp://ftp.nuclecu.unam.mx/incoming/vmlinux
>
> and send me the output of the crash?
>
> Miguel.

Well, when we got word yesterday that 4600's were working, we swapped
the CPU module on linux.detroit to an R400 and we are working that way
towards getting a bootable system.

We are still having problems getting a boot via nfs to work.

Things would be a whole lot simpler if we could mke2fs on a disk while
booting IRIX, mount it and copy all the stuff over before trying to boot
linux.

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.