Current problems.

Subject: Current problems.
From: Alex deVries <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:37:06 -0400 (EDT)
I'm using the kernel that was precompiled, and mentioned on the list

Things I notice about the kernel:
- it crashes occasionally on bootup, saying 'spinning' at the end
- on CAD, it just says "Disabling R4600 SCACHE", and does nothing
- when I'm doing a lot of NFS IO, it says the NFS server has timedout.  I
really doubt it, considering the available speed of my NFS server.

Disk problems I'm having:
- occasionally, my mounts will just disappear.  One moment I'll have /proc
mounted, the next it'll be gone.  It's very difficult to copy filesystems
like this.
- /proc/mounts claims that my NFS-root mounted / is rw, but I always get
permission errors when trying to write to it.
- I'm apparantly not intelligent enough to use fx to partition my sdb
correctly.  I put it in expert mode, but I simply cannot delete partition
10, the volume.  What should the partition table look like from fx's view
point?  In Linux, I get:
 sdb:Dev 08:10 SGI disklabel: bad magic 000000000
 unknown partition table

Thank god for the hidden reset button.

- Alex

      Alex deVries              Success is realizing
  System Administrator          attainable dreams.
   The EngSoc Project