Re: boot linux - wish

To: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: boot linux - wish
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:15:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx, ariel@sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Alan Cox:
> > If I stick all the RH stuff in an initrd and then they do FTP install,
> > then they should be able to use it via boot /vmlinux or boot -f
> > bootp()..., no?
>
> 2.1.4x blows up with an initrd - hopefully fixed in 2.1.50/soon but that
> means the SGI one will corrupt and explode atm

I thought Ijust saw something from Bill Hawes cross the list that
addressed that, actually.  Regardless, they've got at least a week to
get 2.1.x playing nicely with initrds before I'll get a chance to use
it on the Indy. The initrd stuff is the trivial part, and should
operate identically to having it mounted via NFS-root.

Thanks for the warning, though.

Mike

#>      Chief System Architect -- will tame sendmail(8) for food
#>
#> "You are a very perverse individual, and I think I'd like to get to
#>  know you better." --- eric@reference.com