Re: boot linux - wish

To: Miguel de Icaza <>
Subject: Re: boot linux - wish
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 01:08:48 -0400
Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > > Could someone rise to the challenge of writing a utility
> > > that will install Linux on an IRIX machine?
> >
> > I don't mind rising to that challenge, but one huge obstacle is how do we
> > get the utility to partition the Linux drive?
> the fx command is used to partition disks on IRIX.  It took me a while
> to work around the user friendlyness of it, but then, I wanted to keep
> a part of my disk with XFS (because I just LOVE that file system) and
> the rest for my ext2fs.
> > I'm guessing the solution is to write a utility that from within Irix
> > talks directly to the raw SCSI disk to setup the partitions.  I have NO
> > idea how to do this as I doubt the raw disk interface is anything like
> > that in Linux. Clues accepted.
> The only thing you need to do is access the first sector in the disk.
> this one holds the disk label with the current partition definitions.
> Oliver at .at was working on getting Linux FDISK up and running, you
> can probably talk with him.
> > > And give hints like:
> > >     Sorry you don't have the e2fs tools installed on IRIX yet
> > >     should I download them from [y/n]?
> >
> > Er, does such a tool in fact exist?
> Yes.  get the e2fsprogs suite, it is the only thing you need to
> populate a file system.
> Miguel.

Is there ever ANY chance of seeing XFS in Linux? Or a flavor of a really
fast journaled file system?

Eric Kimminau                             System Engineer                       Silicon Graphics, Inc
Vox:(810) 848-4455                        39001 West 12mile Road
Fax:(810)848-5600                         Farmington, MI 48331-2903
            "I speak my mind and no one else's."