Re: boot linux - wish

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca
Subject: Re: boot linux - wish
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:46:07 -0500
Cc: ariel@sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> > Could someone rise to the challenge of writing a utility
> > that will install Linux on an IRIX machine?
>
> I don't mind rising to that challenge, but one huge obstacle is how do we
> get the utility to partition the Linux drive?

the fx command is used to partition disks on IRIX.  It took me a while
to work around the user friendlyness of it, but then, I wanted to keep
a part of my disk with XFS (because I just LOVE that file system) and
the rest for my ext2fs.

> I'm guessing the solution is to write a utility that from within Irix
> talks directly to the raw SCSI disk to setup the partitions.  I have NO
> idea how to do this as I doubt the raw disk interface is anything like
> that in Linux. Clues accepted.

The only thing you need to do is access the first sector in the disk.
this one holds the disk label with the current partition definitions.
Oliver at .at was working on getting Linux FDISK up and running, you
can probably talk with him.

> > And give hints like:
> >     Sorry you don't have the e2fs tools installed on IRIX yet
> >     should I download them from ftp.linux.sgi.com [y/n]?
>
> Er, does such a tool in fact exist?

Yes.  get the e2fsprogs suite, it is the only thing you need to
populate a file system.

Miguel.