Re: boot linux - wish

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: boot linux - wish
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> Could someone rise to the challenge of writing a utility
> that will install Linux on an IRIX machine?

I don't mind rising to that challenge, but one huge obstacle is how do we
get the utility to partition the Linux drive?

I'm guessing the solution is to write a utility that from within Irix
talks directly to the raw SCSI disk to setup the partitions.  I have NO
idea how to do this as I doubt the raw disk interface is anything like
that in Linux. Clues accepted.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this?

>       On what partition do you want to install Linux on [/dev/sdb7]?
>
> And give hints like:
>       Sorry you don't have the e2fs tools installed on IRIX yet
>       should I download them from ftp.linux.sgi.com [y/n]?

Er, does such a tool in fact exist?

In any case, I don't mind handling the writing of such a utility so long
as I get help with the two parts I'm as of yet unable to address:
partitioning and setting up boot options without entering the boot
monitor.

- Alex