Re: Booting Linux from second disk

To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: Booting Linux from second disk
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:18:08 -0400
Cc: jeremyw@motown.detroit.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-progress@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
OK: last report before I leave for the weekend.  These steps given by
Miguel didnt work for us. What "did" work so far is that we set up a
tftp boot server on labb.detroit, got all the stuff uncompressed on it,
booted miniroot on linux.detroit, setenv diskless 1 then did the
following:

boot -f bootp()labb.detroit:/tftpboot/linux/vmlinux
nfsaddrs=169.238.129.18,169.238.129.5

labb (tftpboot server=169.238.129.5, linux=169.238.129.18)

It boots but as soon as it sees the ethernet driver we get this:

eth0: SGI Seeq8003 08:00:69:07:e6:29  (which is our correct MAC addr)_
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000008, epc
== 880cbc5c, ra == 880cbc3c

The keyboard is still active but the machine is hung. You cannot ping
linux's IP address either.

Looks like we have a problem with this kernel and our hardware but I
couldn't tell you anything more than that.

Anyone have any ideas for Monday morning?
See ya!
                     Eric.

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.