Re: Booting Linux from second disk

To: Miguel de Icaza <>
Subject: Re: Booting Linux from second disk
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 16:18:08 -0400
OK: last report before I leave for the weekend.  These steps given by
Miguel didnt work for us. What "did" work so far is that we set up a
tftp boot server on labb.detroit, got all the stuff uncompressed on it,
booted miniroot on linux.detroit, setenv diskless 1 then did the

boot -f bootp()labb.detroit:/tftpboot/linux/vmlinux

labb (tftpboot server=, linux=

It boots but as soon as it sees the ethernet driver we get this:

eth0: SGI Seeq8003 08:00:69:07:e6:29  (which is our correct MAC addr)_
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000008, epc
== 880cbc5c, ra == 880cbc3c

The keyboard is still active but the machine is hung. You cannot ping
linux's IP address either.

Looks like we have a problem with this kernel and our hardware but I
couldn't tell you anything more than that.

Anyone have any ideas for Monday morning?
See ya!

Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > We have tried booting miniroot, running command monitor then running sash
> > and we have tried:
> >
> > boot /vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1 which just fails
> >
> > and
> >
> > boot /vmlinux root=/dev/sdb7 which boots IRIX
> Ok, it is not that simple.
> The problem is that the Linux kernel does not have a module for
> accessing EFS, so you have to do this in two steps:
>         1. Un cpio the root-*.cpio.gz on a machine on the network
>            and tell Linux to use that as its root file system:
>                 boot /vmlinux nfsroot=
>            Replace for the IP address of your NFS server
>            and /tftpboot/the-root-dir for the exported directory in
>            your NFS server that holds that stuff.
>         2. Prepare to get rid of EFS on your disk.
>            Run the mke2fs command on the proper device to create
>            the Linux ext2 file system.
>         3. Un-cpio the file again, this time on your root disk.
>         4. umount the disk, and reset the machine.
> Miguel.

Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.