Re: Local disk boot HOWTO

To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: Local disk boot HOWTO
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 14:54:22 -0400
Cc: eak@detroit.sgi.com, ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Has anyone completed a HOWTO for booting from a second local disk yet?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> No, but if you put your Linux kernel on EFS or XFS, you just need to
> go to the sash boot prompt and from there type:
>
>         boot /vmlinux
>
> Miguel.

This is incorrect. It will not boot off of a second disk with everything
on an XFS partition. We ar ejust about to finish the restore to an efs
partition and try it that way.

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.