Re: Local disk boot HOWTO

To: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Subject: Re: Local disk boot HOWTO
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:38:04 -0400
Cc: eak@detroit.sgi.com, ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mike Shaver wrote:

> Thus spake Eric Kimminau:
> > Has anyone completed a HOWTO for booting from a second local disk yet?
>
> Do you have a root-mountable filesystem on the second disk?
> If so:
> - put vmlinux on the IRIX /
> - boot into sash
> boot /vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1
>
> (This is from memory, but it was pretty simple.  Once Miguel told me
> how simple it was, of course. =) )
>
> Mike

OK, this IS simple enough. Does anyone have a tar of a functional Linux
installation I can snag and uncompress on my second disk?

My assumption would be I would then just modify
/dev/sdb1/etc/hosts,hostname, etc. for networking and then reboot into
Linux?

If someone can throw up a tar somewhere Ill come get it and
linux.detroit will be online today.

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.