Re: Local disk boot HOWTO

To: Mike Shaver <>
Subject: Re: Local disk boot HOWTO
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:38:04 -0400
Mike Shaver wrote:
> Thus spake Eric Kimminau:
> > Has anyone completed a HOWTO for booting from a second local disk yet?
> Do you have a root-mountable filesystem on the second disk?
> If so:
> - put vmlinux on the IRIX /
> - boot into sash
> boot /vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1
> (This is from memory, but it was pretty simple.  Once Miguel told me
> how simple it was, of course. =) )
> Mike

OK, this IS simple enough. Does anyone have a tar of a functional Linux
installation I can snag and uncompress on my second disk?

My assumption would be I would then just modify
/dev/sdb1/etc/hosts,hostname, etc. for networking and then reboot into

If someone can throw up a tar somewhere Ill come get it and
linux.detroit will be online today.

Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.