Re: Local disk boot HOWTO

To: eak@detroit.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Local disk boot HOWTO
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:37:25 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com (Linux/SGI list)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Eric Kimminau:
> OK, this IS simple enough. Does anyone have a tar of a functional Linux
> installation I can snag and uncompress on my second disk?

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/mips-linux/root-be-0.00.cpio.gz
should work fine.

(20MB, BTW)

> My assumption would be I would then just modify
> /dev/sdb1/etc/hosts,hostname, etc. for networking and then reboot into
> Linux?

Something like that.
You can edit them after you reboot, though.

Mike

#>                 UNIX medicine man -- dark magick, cheap!
#>
#>  When the going gets tough, the tough give cryptic error messages.
#>          "We believe in rough consensus and running code."