/dev/usema questions

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com (Linux/SGI list)
Subject: /dev/usema questions
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:50:35 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Couple of questions I'd like some enlightenment on, as I try to get
/dev/usema{,clone} ready for Miguel's Xcellent Adventure:

- what is us_attach.us_handle for?  Is it some opaque pointer I can
send to userland and get back for all the other ioctls?  Please? =)

- do libc and IRIX really use the minor of the filehandle to identify
the usema `device' it's working with?

- from sys/usioctl.h:
#define UIOCBLOCK       (UIOC|3)        /* block, sync, intr */
#define UIOCNOIBLOCK    (UIOC|5)        /* block, sync, intr */
Should I take UIOCNOIBLOCK to really be "/* block, sync, nointr */"?

- what's the difference between sync/async blocking/unblocking?  I
thought it might be that sync would mean that schedule() happened
immediately, but then I don't think that async blocking makes much
sense.

The us* stuff is pretty cool, I must say.  Someone (<whistles
quietly>) should think about doing it for Linux...

Mike

--
#> Mike Shaver (shaver@ingenia.com)      Information Warfare Division
#> Chief Tactical and Strategic Officer         "Saepe fidelis"