Re: your mail

To: vincent@waw.com (Vincent Renardias)
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 18:53:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Vincent Renardias:
> % mips-linux-gcc  -o pwgen pwgen.o -lm
> /usr/local/mips-linux/lib/libc.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
> index; run ranlib to add one
>
> running mips-linux-ranlib on the given file does not change anything.
> (ie: still getting the same message)

Did you use mips-linux-ar to create the archive?
Many packages, I've discovered, don't listen to $AR in the
environment, and I used to get that error all the time.

Mike

#>            Chief System Architect and Herder of Bits
#>
#> "Yoda say, `Just slap a little public key crypto into it' does not
#>      a secure system make." -- Marcus J. Ranum (mjr@clark.net)