Re: your mail

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:05:02 +0100 (GMT+0100)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > I just installed the binutils/gcc crossdev packages from
> > ftp.linux.sgi.com. Should i also install the glibc-2.0.4-1.tar.gz package
> > from /pub/mips-linux? In case it matters my native libc is glibc-2.0.4
> > (i386).
>
> Well, it doesn't matter except that I built the executables with Linux
> libc and you therefore need that one.  DANGER:  When you install libs
> for a crosscompiler you will have to move the libs a bit around.
> Just doing tar zxf ... -C / will fry your native system.  MIPS stuff
> just has too much octane to be suitable as fuel for your Intel machine ;-)

Debian provides nice tools to handdle this kind of installation:

- alien: allows to convert binary packages between any 2 of the
{.deb,.tgz,.rpm} formats.

- dpkg-cross: tool handdling cross-compilation packages. That is any file
that should go into /*/lib is redirected into /usr/local/$ARCH-linux/lib.
(same for the include files). It also makes it possible to build a given
package for several architectures at the same time.
Those tools should probably work on any Linux flavour (distrib./arch.)

Anyway, I've installed glibc-2.0.4 to get around the missing sgidefs.h
problem, and I run into another problem:
now mips-linux-gcc complains about:

% mips-linux-gcc  -o pwgen pwgen.o -lm
/usr/local/mips-linux/lib/libc.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
index; run ranlib to add one

running mips-linux-ranlib on the given file does not change anything.
(ie: still getting the same message)

Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem in the Linux/SGI glibc?

        Cordialement,

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -