Re: Linux GGI and Linux/SGI

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Linux GGI and Linux/SGI
From: jwiede@blammo.engr.sgi.com (John Wiederhirn)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:40:30 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Aug 9, 12:20am, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Are there any plans to move (maybe it's already there) the
> > SGI version of Linux to a GGI-model design?
> > (see http://synergy.foo.net/~ggi/)
>
> Well, we have discussed using GGI.  Last I checkend GGI was still itself
> in a state of flux and the last thing I want to do is to open another
> battle field.  Technical reasons against GGI was mostly that the original
> design was very bloated as far as the kernel is affected.  This has
> been improoved somwhat since.

I'm not so attached to the notion of GGI as much as for gfx
having an in-kernel-space presence in Linux (Linux/SGI is
going to need this, as I suspect is any Linux that attempts
hardware acceleration of OpenGL or other similar APIs).

John

--
John Wiederhirn (DSD, Graphics Kernel MTS)        jwiede@engr.sgi.com
       "Smithers, unleash the human insight and creativity."