Re: Linux GGI and Linux/SGI

Subject: Re: Linux GGI and Linux/SGI
From: (John Wiederhirn)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:40:30 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>
On Aug 9, 12:20am, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > Are there any plans to move (maybe it's already there) the
> > SGI version of Linux to a GGI-model design?
> > (see
> Well, we have discussed using GGI.  Last I checkend GGI was still itself
> in a state of flux and the last thing I want to do is to open another
> battle field.  Technical reasons against GGI was mostly that the original
> design was very bloated as far as the kernel is affected.  This has
> been improoved somwhat since.

I'm not so attached to the notion of GGI as much as for gfx
having an in-kernel-space presence in Linux (Linux/SGI is
going to need this, as I suspect is any Linux that attempts
hardware acceleration of OpenGL or other similar APIs).

John Wiederhirn (DSD, Graphics Kernel MTS)
       "Smithers, unleash the human insight and creativity."