Re: Challenge S

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: Challenge S
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 16:39:50 -0400
Alan Cox wrote:
> > I think it would be a great application but Linux is sorely missing a
> > very important piece - lockd for NFS.
> Two things
> 1.      Linux 2.1.x does have a lock daemon
> 2.      Most people and tools avoid NFS locking like the plague because
>         its faster to use polls based on the atomic NFS properties you
>         do have and some short sleeps.
> Oh yes and 3. - NFS locking really doesn't seem to have much in the
> security area..
> Alan

Ever tried using microsoft apps over pcnfs without lockd?

Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.