Re: Challenge S

To: Chad McDaniel <chadm@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Challenge S
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@cygnus.detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:03:28 -0400
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Chad McDaniel wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas about SGI-Linux on a Challenge S? As I
> understand it a Challenge S is basically an Indy without video and an
> extra SCSI controller. Plus, costomers with them aren't concerned
> about video or getting X to run & therefore SGI-Linux would be
> considered 'done' on them a bit sooner than the full Indy version.
>
> Is Linux run much on server-only systems?
>
> --
> -chad

I think it would be a great application but Linux is sorely missing a
very important piece - lockd for NFS.

--
Eric Kimminau                           System Engineer/RSA
eak@detroit.sgi.com                     Silicon Graphics, Inc

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

Windows 95: n.
    32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an
    8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

    Author unknown.