Subject: Modules
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:26:55 +0200 (MET DST)

I tracked the modules bug down.  Turned out that it was an I/D cache
coherency problem; the modutils work fine as they are in the CVS on
Linus.  Right now I really wonder why modules work at all on any
architecture with split I/D caches.

I've built a Indy kernel with 40 modules configured.  Of these 35
seem to be working.  Not that I have taken myself the time to create
the test setups for testing them all ...  Those that don't work on a
Indy are psaux, sgiwd33, ipv6, msdos and binfmt_java.

I'd also use this occasion to introduce Thomas Bogendoerfer on this
list.  Thomas is currently as far as time permits _the_ Olivetti M700
hacker.  Means that he will also get live back into your Magnums :-)