Re: SGI 68k machines?

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: SGI 68k machines?
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:48:42 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> over the time I received several requests of Linux for m68k based SGI
> machines.  First of all, did SGI build m68k based machines at all?
> If so these machines must be from latest the mid-eighties, probably
> earlier?
>
>   Ralf
Ralf,

 those were the first SGI products. The IRIS-1x00, -2x00 and
-3x00 series.

 CPU board based on the 68020. No 68881 FPU, but you could
get a FPU accellerator board based on multiple Weitek chips.
Up to 8 MB (or was it 16 MB, maybe only 4), IRIS-GL based GFX,
MEX window manager.

 Bus system was Multibus. Disks ESDI, SMD and IPI. Don't
know what the SCSI story was.

 Build from 83/84 until probably 88. Not a bad system for
that time.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <knobi@munich.sgi.com>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |