Re: Pointers on how to get started

To: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Subject: Re: Pointers on how to get started
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Linux/SGI list <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Thus spake Alex deVries:
> > How are things on the native booting front?
>
> I can boot bogomips off of local disk, but I'm seeing some wierdness
> with users and groups that I can't explain (via NFS and ext2).  I'd
> like to get strace working so I can debug it more.

Further questions:

1. What's a good kernel to use for this, and can someone tell me where I
can find a pre-compiled version of it? I suspect until the problems on
2.1.45 are fixed, newbies should be using something older.

2. Could someone either produce an RPM for an xcompiling gcc host=i386
target=mips-linux, or send me a tarball?  I'd be happy to make it into an
RPM.  Same goes for binutils.

3. Exactly what hardware will this run on?  All I've heard thus far is
work on SGI Indy's.  Has there been any expereience on anything else?  I
know Ralf has run Linux on a lot of different MIPS machines, but for the
sake of SGI Linux I think we should restrict ourselves to SGI only
hardware.

4. Can someone tell me about how to configure an Indy to boot via bootp? I
don't yet have access to manuals.

- Alex