Re: Pointers on how to get started

To: Emmanuel Mogenet <mgix@nothingreal.com>
Subject: Re: Pointers on how to get started
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Emmanuel Mogenet wrote:

> Unfortunately, at this point in the project, the "How to get
> started" part is kind of not written anywhere.

I had said that I would write this, and I will. It will be written from
the stance of a relative newbie.

As it stands, I have some ideas on how to do this.  What I'm missing is
the actual hardware to do it on.  As I get my system booting, I will
document every step.

The *REAL* fun for me starts when my Indy arrives, hopefully next week.
Thanks, Ariel!

> I have access to a i586-SCSI Linux system on the same network as
> my Indy, so I guess it should make things easier (booting diskless
> and/or making an efs filesystem on my SCSI disk on the PC)

Yes, it will help.

How are things on the native booting front?

I had mailed Erik Troan a couple of days ago w.r.t. getting the RH install
code for Alan and myself, but I haven't heard anything yet.

- Alex